How do you correct your credit with the bureaus if they won't talk to you?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I have a mistaken bankruptcy on my credit reports and I'm having trouble having it removed. Is there an attorney that can help with credit corrections?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gary D. Bollinger

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Seek a consumer rights lawyer, you might have a Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) violation.

    Also, challenges to inaccuracies in credit reports are not verbal, they just be in writing.

  2. Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a consumer attorney. You can dispute this. If they do not remove after the dispute you will be able to sue them

    Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt... more
  3. Amy Lavonne Wells

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. A bit more information that may help you... here is a link on how you can dispute a credit report error:

    Keep copies of EVERYTHING and send in accordance with the instructions found on the link.

    As my colleague aptly suggests, if you dispute and they don't remove the false information, contact a seasoned consumer advocate. Here is a website for the National Association of Consumer Advocates, which has an attorney search feature that may benefit you. Approximately one in four credit reports is estimated to have a serious error, such as yours. You have legal rights and the credit bureaus failure to comply with the law and report accurately about you can give rise to civil damages. More good news -- most advocates will assist you on a contingency/fee-shifting basis so help is a phone call away.

    All the best to you!

    NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,990 answers this week

3,178 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,990 answers this week

3,178 attorneys answering