How do you correct a discrepancy in information submitted to the USCIS?

Minneapolis, MN |

I submitted a Petition to the USCIS on behalf of a personal relative. I have now found out that the information I provided on the Petition submitted to the USCIS is different from that contained in the original document that I will use to support the information I already provided to the USCIS. How should I proceed, since I will now have to submit a copy of that original document to the USCIS? That document was missing when I prepared and submitted the Petition to the USCIS and I assumed the information on it would be the same thing I put in the Petition.

1. Without knowing more about the type of petition or application you submitted, such discrepancies are best corrected during the personal interview at USCIS or the US consulate abroad, or better yet at the NVC level for an immigrant visa. Best to wait until the next time when either you or your relative come into contact with the government agency in question before submitting any "corrective" information. You will have ample opportunity to do so then.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Your question highlights the importance of being represented by counsel at all stages of the process. Agree with my colleague but also seek help so you can have a good consultation with an excellent attorney.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.

3. Get an attorney to represent you. Perhaps someone will agree to help you straighten this out at this point, but definitely next time having an immigration attorney will help you prevent unnecessary errors such as this one. I agree that corrections should be made at the time of the interview by bringing an updated and CORRECT copy of the document you need corrected in. If you send that in instead, a long delay in processing the case may result.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

4. Hello. Your post is reflective of the need for attorney assistance throughout. Please confer with your attorney as to how best to correct matters and proceed from this point forward.

Minnesota licensed attorney