How do you correct a discrepancy in information submitted to the USCIS?

Asked 7 months ago - Minneapolis, MN

I submitted a Petition to the USCIS on behalf of a personal relative. I have now found out that the information I provided on the Petition submitted to the USCIS is different from that contained in the original document that I will use to support the information I already provided to the USCIS. How should I proceed, since I will now have to submit a copy of that original document to the USCIS? That document was missing when I prepared and submitted the Petition to the USCIS and I assumed the information on it would be the same thing I put in the Petition.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tricia Dwyer

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hello. Your post is reflective of the need for attorney assistance throughout. Please confer with your attorney as to how best to correct matters and proceed from this point forward.

    Minnesota licensed attorney
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Without knowing more about the type of petition or application you submitted, such discrepancies are best corrected during the personal interview at USCIS or the US consulate abroad, or better yet at the NVC level for an immigrant visa. Best to wait until the next time when either you or your relative come into contact with the government agency in question before submitting any "corrective" information. You will have ample opportunity to do so then.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question highlights the importance of being represented by counsel at all stages of the process. Agree with my colleague but also seek help so you can have a good consultation with an excellent attorney.

    No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his... more
  4. Gunda Johanna Brost


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Get an attorney to represent you. Perhaps someone will agree to help you straighten this out at this point, but definitely next time having an immigration attorney will help you prevent unnecessary errors such as this one. I agree that corrections should be made at the time of the interview by bringing an updated and CORRECT copy of the document you need corrected in. If you send that in instead, a long delay in processing the case may result.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,656 answers this week

2,923 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary