Skip to main content

How do you contest a will in washington state when the final wishes arent being carried out as stated in the will?

Tumwater, WA |

My grandma passed away and in her will states that she wants her children to sell the trailer park that she owns and then divide the money among her children. There are 5 children of whom are hers and there are only three of them who are calling the shots. They have cut out 2 of their siblings and have chosen to not sell the trailer park. How do we go about contesting this in washington state?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are actually not contesting the will. You are contesting the way the will is being administered. First, if the will has not been probated, you need to open a probate. If it is in probate, you want to hire your own counsel to bring this issue to the court's attention and request removal of the administrator so that the will can be effectuated as written. Good luck.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Gary Todd Dupler

Gary Todd Dupler


I didn't see your answer before submitting mine. Are we too predictable?

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed


Great minds think alike!


Has the will been submitted to probate court yet? It sounds like it hasn't. And it sounds like you don't want a will contest, instead, you want the will verified and the terms of the will complied with by the heirs/beneficiaries. The will needs to be submitted to the probate court in the county where your grandmother resided. The filing can be done by the executor/executrix, or any other interested party. Since everyone is not agreeing, find a probate attorney who practices in the county mentioned to make sure that the terms of the will are met. Good luck!

If this answer is helpful or you feel it is the best answer, please click that option. This response is for general informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. The writer is only licensed to practice law in TN. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the answers by the named attorney do not create an attorney-client relationship between said attorney and the user or browser.


I agree with my colleagues. This is not a Will contest. This would be an objection to the administration of the estate, contrary to the terms of the Will. If the estate is open, you can file a petition with the court to compel the executor to follow the Will. This should be done through an attorney.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer