How do write a termination letter to my immigration attorney ?

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

I would like to fire my attorney so he can give us our files back how do I write a termination letter? Do I need to specify all the poor service he provided? Like neve answering our calls or messages? Or missing a Brief deadline?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no standard way to write this letter.

    You should review the written agreement/contract you have with the attorney. It may tell any steps you must take to terminate the contract.

    You should hire a new attorney before you fire your existing one and find out if they will take responsibility for getting your files from the old attorney.

  2. Emily Katherine Allen

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . All you have to do is tell the attorney that you no longer wish him to represent you, and that you request a copy of your file be provided to you immediately. If there are other issues that are not perfectly clear -- such as the return of legal fees or a request that fees be refunded because of poor services -- then you may want to speak with an attorney before you notify him of your demands.

  3. Kendra Joanna Long

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the pervious attorneys here. You should review your contract/agreement with your current immigration attorney to see what steps you need to take to discharge them. I practice in Washington State and in Washington you may discharge your attorney at any time and for any reason. The client need only tell the attorney that they have been discharged and the attorney must stop working on the file. In Washington, this can be done verbally or in writing. You should check your agreement with your current lawyer and the Rules of Professional Conduct in New York for more information about attorney discharge procedures.

    If you choose to hire a new attorney, you do not even have to have communication with your old attorney. Your new attorney can inform your old attorney that they are being discharged and request your file for you.

    Best of luck!

    This reply does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Your receipt... more
  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can type it or you can handwrite it.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,408 answers this week

2,812 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,408 answers this week

2,812 attorneys answering