How do write a termination letter to my immigration attorney ?

New York, NY |

I would like to fire my attorney so he can give us our files back how do I write a termination letter? Do I need to specify all the poor service he provided? Like neve answering our calls or messages? Or missing a Brief deadline?

1. There is no standard way to write this letter.

You should review the written agreement/contract you have with the attorney. It may tell any steps you must take to terminate the contract.

You should hire a new attorney before you fire your existing one and find out if they will take responsibility for getting your files from the old attorney.

2. All you have to do is tell the attorney that you no longer wish him to represent you, and that you request a copy of your file be provided to you immediately. If there are other issues that are not perfectly clear -- such as the return of legal fees or a request that fees be refunded because of poor services -- then you may want to speak with an attorney before you notify him of your demands.

THIS ANSWER IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Immigration is complicated and the wrong action can have serious consequences. Never take action in your case based solely on general information like is offered here. Speak to an attorney who can give you specific advice about your own situation.

3. You can type it or you can handwrite it.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

4. I agree with the pervious attorneys here. You should review your contract/agreement with your current immigration attorney to see what steps you need to take to discharge them. I practice in Washington State and in Washington you may discharge your attorney at any time and for any reason. The client need only tell the attorney that they have been discharged and the attorney must stop working on the file. In Washington, this can be done verbally or in writing. You should check your agreement with your current lawyer and the Rules of Professional Conduct in New York for more information about attorney discharge procedures.

If you choose to hire a new attorney, you do not even have to have communication with your old attorney. Your new attorney can inform your old attorney that they are being discharged and request your file for you.

Best of luck!

This reply does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Your receipt of the information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, a contract for representation by Kendra J. Long. This information is not intended to substitute for obtaining legal advice. No person should act or rely on any information in this site without seeking the advice of an attorney.