How do write a termination letter to my immigration attorney ?

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

I would like to fire my attorney so he can give us our files back how do I write a termination letter? Do I need to specify all the poor service he provided? Like neve answering our calls or messages? Or missing a Brief deadline?

1. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

2

Answered . There is no standard way to write this letter.

You should review the written agreement/contract you have with the attorney. It may tell any steps you must take to terminate the contract.

You should hire a new attorney before you fire your existing one and find out if they will take responsibility for getting your files from the old attorney.

2. Emily Katherine Allen

2

Answered . All you have to do is tell the attorney that you no longer wish him to represent you, and that you request a copy of your file be provided to you immediately. If there are other issues that are not perfectly clear -- such as the return of legal fees or a request that fees be refunded because of poor services -- then you may want to speak with an attorney before you notify him of your demands.

3. Kendra Joanna Long

1

Answered . I agree with the pervious attorneys here. You should review your contract/agreement with your current immigration attorney to see what steps you need to take to discharge them. I practice in Washington State and in Washington you may discharge your attorney at any time and for any reason. The client need only tell the attorney that they have been discharged and the attorney must stop working on the file. In Washington, this can be done verbally or in writing. You should check your agreement with your current lawyer and the Rules of Professional Conduct in New York for more information about attorney discharge procedures.

If you choose to hire a new attorney, you do not even have to have communication with your old attorney. Your new attorney can inform your old attorney that they are being discharged and request your file for you.

Best of luck!

4. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . You can type it or you can handwrite it.