Skip to main content

How do we terminate parental rights of one parent

Highland Village, TX |

Father has not paid child support, rarely attends visit, is in process of many legal battles, has a problem with alcohol and/or drugs. How can we terminate his rights if he is unwilling to voluntarily do this

Attorney Answers 2


You can file a Petition to Terminate Parental Rights with the court that entered the child support order or the court in the county where the child lives now. You will probably need an experienced family law attorney to accomplish this.

Mark as helpful


Serve him with the Petition to Terminate his rights and he will either need to file a written response or default. Chances are he will default if he really doesn't otherwise care about being the father.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics