Skip to main content

How do we sue the State for over taxation on one or many other items?

Sumner, WA |

It seems the State has abused its authoritative power and keeps taxing the same product more than once. I understand they sit round and find a new way to tax the same item and this is not fair to the public or anyone else. We The People left European area to get away from the over taxation and came here to stand steady on freedom and the ability to support the self and the government if needed. Taxes started when we went to War and it was to help our women at home as well as feed the military in our fight here. Where is it right for the Governor to just say....add another tax on the fuel so we can have more party money cos we ran out? WE THE PEOPLE should not have to pay for their party plans. ALso, the government grants I understand are being used as money to feed bonds. Is that right?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. It sounds like you have more of a political opposition to state taxation, but the question itself is vague. No lawyer can tell you if you have a viable lawsuit without knowing the particular facts of your case.

  2. You can file a lawsuit against the state government and/or against the Federal government about the tax laws if you wish to do so. However, you do not have a basis for winning. Your arguments are political, not legal. You need to wage your battle in the ballot box.

  3. It appears that you are philosophically opposed to the payment of taxes and that you do not have any specific tax problem. People have been making arguments about the unconstitutionality of income taxation since enactment of the 16th amendment in 1913 (and probably well before that) without any success.

    From what I can tell, you do not have a valid claim against either the State or Federal governments with regard to taxation. Thus, your best bet is to not file a lawsuit and go about your business, keeping in mind the admonition that "taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society." Any developed country in the world is going to levy taxes on its inhabitants. If you wish to live in a low tax country, perhaps China would fit the bill, or Somalia, the "Libertarian Paradise."

    Whatever you do, don't file a frivolous complaint against the taxing authorities. It will only cost you time, money, and the possible imposition of sanctions. I know what I'm talking about from experience. I was a government tax attorney for 23 years and faced many litigants opposed to filing and paying taxes. They lost every single time. You'd be much better off directing your energies toward a hobby or a more realistic form of political activism, like seeking to repeal the Citizens United decision, so as to lessen the role of money and corporate influence in politics and thereby obtain a more representative government. See and

    The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics