How do we sue the State for over taxation on one or many other items?

Sumner, WA |

It seems the State has abused its authoritative power and keeps taxing the same product more than once. I understand they sit round and find a new way to tax the same item and this is not fair to the public or anyone else. We The People left European area to get away from the over taxation and came here to stand steady on freedom and the ability to support the self and the government if needed. Taxes started when we went to War and it was to help our women at home as well as feed the military in our fight here. Where is it right for the Governor to just say....add another tax on the fuel so we can have more party money cos we ran out? WE THE PEOPLE should not have to pay for their party plans. ALso, the government grants I understand are being used as money to feed bonds. Is that right?

It sounds like you have more of a political opposition to state taxation, but the question itself is vague. No lawyer can tell you if you have a viable lawsuit without knowing the particular facts of your case.

Ok. Here is one. With out a public vote the Governor added a tax upon the fuel because he needed more money for stuff. Christine Gregoire the Governor before this one did the same. Without votes. The Legislature could not come up with enough money to run the government so they added a tax to that as well. Christine Gregoire added another .78% tax on our property and homes. She calls it a District Tax. That was not voted on either. I think, if possible, that lawyers from different States should bring forth a class action law suit against the State of Washington for abuse of authority and illegally taxing the public unjustly. We really need to get rid of the scum that run our government. I cant believe this one thing I never thought I would ever hear from our own government. If we cant get more money to run our government we will just have to start sending people home till we do. You know....I was hoping they would start sending those idiots home cos Im telling you.....a high school drop out could do better than those idiots. Yes the idiots in the Washington State Capital.

Oh, one last thing. I do not support our State Teams as they both cried and whined if they did not get their own stadium they would go on strike or would not play. Well darn. who pays for the tickets? We do. Who took the money from the public to build the dumb stadiums our government did then charged us again because they needed the money for something else. Then the way I see it.....since we need to have tickets to get in .... the State should supply these since we have already paid for the stupid stadiums. And no I will not pay for a ticket to see those dumb games even if it was the superbowl. Which would never happen.

You can file a lawsuit against the state government and/or against the Federal government about the tax laws if you wish to do so. However, you do not have a basis for winning. Your arguments are political, not legal. You need to wage your battle in the ballot box.

When we are taxed without votes then isnt that kinda illegal? Oh, here is one. For two years we voted no on a 5cent fuel tax. On the third year the legislature went against the public and initiated anyway. I called and asked why.....the response was, we can over ride the public vote when we decide its a betterment for the public. I asked where exactly and what exactly does that money go and is intended for. The reply is....it just goes into a slush fund and can be spent anywhere. That is Washington for ya ..... a bunch of idiots in political seats. I bet they dont even know what a muffler bearing is.

It appears that you are philosophically opposed to the payment of taxes and that you do not have any specific tax problem. People have been making arguments about the unconstitutionality of income taxation since enactment of the 16th amendment in 1913 (and probably well before that) without any success.

From what I can tell, you do not have a valid claim against either the State or Federal governments with regard to taxation. Thus, your best bet is to not file a lawsuit and go about your business, keeping in mind the admonition that "taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society." Any developed country in the world is going to levy taxes on its inhabitants. If you wish to live in a low tax country, perhaps China would fit the bill, or Somalia, the "Libertarian Paradise."

Whatever you do, don't file a frivolous complaint against the taxing authorities. It will only cost you time, money, and the possible imposition of sanctions. I know what I'm talking about from experience. I was a government tax attorney for 23 years and faced many litigants opposed to filing and paying taxes. They lost every single time. You'd be much better off directing your energies toward a hobby or a more realistic form of political activism, like seeking to repeal the Citizens United decision, so as to lessen the role of money and corporate influence in politics and thereby obtain a more representative government. See MovetoAmend.org and Moveon.org.

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.

You know...some of what you said is right. Knowing you pencil pushed yourself being a government tax attorney for 23 years..... I can see that you have found ways to screw the public like the rest of the attorneys who screwed Howard Hughs out of his billions in their ways. It is sad to see how judges or governors receive such huge donations or other around the time a decision is to be made towards another. Kinda like when the Natives wanted a Casino then donated something like 125 million bucks to Christine Gregoire.....before the Okay came along.

Richard Gordon Stack

Richard Gordon Stack

Unlike some government attorneys, I always sought to do the right thing. In some cases, that was not possible because the law was not on the taxpayer's side or my supervisor did not view the case in the same taxpayer-generous way that I did. I agree with you that government and politics has gotten very corrupt in the last 30 years or so. As they say, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Also, money is the grease that lubricates politics. The only solution to the problem is a movement of common people from below, on a street-by-street, precinct-by-precinct, town-by-town, and city-by-city level in order to force our elected officials to serve us rather than wealthy special interests. If you want to change things, then you need to get involved. Log onto MovetoAmend.org or a similar website that seeks to pass a constitutional amendment which provides that corporations are not people and money is not speech. Tag, you're it.

Tax law topics