Skip to main content

How do we speed up foreclosure process and/or how do we respond to the foreclosure complaint without a lawyer?

Columbus, OH |

Had to move out of Ohio for work. Tried short sale, bank did not accept the offer same day they filed foreclosure. Have tried contacting bank several times to ask about deed-in-lieu, but they have not responded to calls or emails. We cannot afford a lawyer and just want this over. We have documented every interaction with the bank.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. There are many, many variables in a foreclosure suit, and this broad question is not something an attorney is going to be able to advise you about on a site like this absent the ability to review documents, pleadings, and consult with you about the specifics of your case.

    That said, I certainly appreciate your situation. If you are in need of legal advise and can not afford counsel, I would suggest that you contact the bar association in your area, which likely has a volunteer lawyer program. These types of programs offer legal services to individuals with limited financial means. You may also contact you local legal aid office. These are just starting points, there are a number of resources available to consumers that qualify based upon financial need (and sometimes other factors). I would suggest exploring some of these avenues.

    All the best to you and your family.

    NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Amy L. Wells or WELLS LAW OFFICE, INC.

  2. I also appreciate your situation. This is a situation that it is best for you to obtain legal advice regarding deficiency, if any and tax consequences, if any. Once the foreclosure is completed it is too late to understand that consequences.

    My best.

    This firm is in the business of helping people and companies file for bankruptcy protection. Therefore, the bankruptcy code requires that we call our firm a "debt relief agency." This information is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to be a legal opinion, legal advice or a complete discussion of the related issues. Nor is this advice intended to create a client - attorney relationship. Every individual's factual situation is different and you should seek independent legal advice from an attorney familiar with the laws of your state or locality regarding specific information.

  3. unfortunately, you are stuck
    except for some extremely limited situations the banks will not do a deed in lieu
    they dont want the house or the responsibility

    they dont care if you moved out of state
    they will do the foreclosure through to the end
    a Franklin County real estate attorney should be able to tell you how long that will be

    just go on with your lives
    will not affect you much more than it already has
    credit wise or other wise

    do not buy any real estate until two years after the confirmation of sale on your foreclosure
    you can follow it online

  4. Your options are limited if you don't have an attorney. But try these suggestions. 1 Check and see if Columbus has a local Land Bank to take this property off your hands. I bet Columbus has a Land Bank. Find it. 2.. Have the neighbors call and call and call and call the bank's attorney listed on the foreclosure. Give the same treatment to the city inspectors, fire and police officials. Ask them to write and call to their city councilman and the local papers as much as they can, Remember, the squeaky gets the grease. Good luck. .

    This answer is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and may not be relied upon as legal advice. A careful examination of the facts is necessary before a legal answer may be relied on. You should consult your own attorney before taking or refraining from any legal action.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics