How do we qualify for a Land Trust in California?

Asked about 1 year ago - Placentia, CA

An LLC, trying to help raise Equity Capital to purchase an REO Family Ranch for a Non-profit 501 (c) (3) for Abused & Battered Mothers w/small children.Need help b.boomerschoice@yahoo.com

1. David Allen Hiersekorn

2

Answered . You are asking a perfectly valid and fair question. But, here's the problem. It's very difficult for an attorney to answer your question, because it assumes a particular solution is the best way to achieve your goals.

It's kind of like calling a doctor and asking "which antibiotic do I need to take in order to get rid of this rash?" The answer might not be an antibiotic, so it's hard for the doctor to answer the question.

Honestly, you are going to have to sit with an attorney and describe what you want to have happen and then have the attorney tell you the various options for getting that result.

I applaud your efforts, and I think you are doing a good thing. But, there are a lot of factors that go into this. Mainly, I'm concerned about the relationship between the LLC and the 501(c)(3). There are many issues there. Again, I think you're going to need a lawyer to sort this out.

2. Theodore Michael Hankin

Pro

1

Answered . A land trust is like an ordinary revocable trust. The trustee holds title to the land for the benefit of the beneficiary. It's not a matter of qualifying if I am correctly understanding your question. It is simply a matter of drafting appropriate documents.

3. Paul Rutledge Durr III

1

1

Answered . California land trusts are usually for conservation of undeveloped land or farmland, sounds like you intend to operate a shelter; you might try California Council of Land Trusts for more info at http://www.calandtrusts.org