Skip to main content

How do we get our property, that we own without mortgage, back from an upset sale?

Bridgeport, PA |

Our property was rented and we were going through the courts with eviction of tenant. All mail from tax collector NEVER came to our actual residence. We never recieved tax bill. We just got possession through courts on Aug 31st (tenant evicted). Never got house posting or mail to our residence about sale of our property. Sale occurred without our knowledge. What is the time line to get our property back? How do we do this?

Attorney Answers 1


If someone bought the property, you must file a petition with the court immediately. You are going to need a lawyer as this is no time and place to learn the ropes of this kind of case. Lack of notice is a valid reason to overturn the sale, but some courts are putting the burden on the taxpayer when it should be on the taxing body. If you pay taxes on other property in the same county that comes to your correct address, there is a line of cases that should be helpful to you, especially the Fernandez Case.

However, if no one bought the property at the sale, you should be able to make arrangements to pay the taxes and resume good standing with the Tax Claim Bureau.

Clifford L Tuttle, Jr
Attorney at Law
Pittsburgh, PA

Clifford L Tuttle, Jr
Attorney at Law
Pittsburgh, PA

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics