How do we force my alcoholic brother to leave my dad's house? He verbally abuses my mentally handicapped sister, father, me.

Houston, TX |

My brother has been getting free room and board at my father's house for several years, in exchange for doing odd jobs around farm like mowing yard, mowing pasture, fixing fence, feeding livestock and pets, taking out trash, occasional cooking, other odd jobs. His work has progressively slacked off over the last two years. Work that he says he was doing, did not get done, including mowing a six acre pasture over the last year. The last three months he has only picked up some fallen limbs in the front yard, taken the trash out for pick up twice a week, and brought in the newspaper and mail most days. One and a half months of this time, my dad was in the hospital. Now he is home and requires someone dependable to care for him, shop, drive to appointments, and do chores.

This is not a nursing home abuse question. As long as your parents have control over the property they can decide who lives there, unless the behavior of your brother becomes criminal. If you have POA for your father you could move to evict your brother, but this may cause your parent stress as well.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Changing toppic to elder care law fora more comprehensive answer,

It appears that your father owns the home. Your father would have to evict him.

You might want to call your local policing agency - police, constable, sheriff and talk to them.
If he's possibly violent you might want to warn them about him.

Also if your brother is abusing an elderly or disabled person, there is Adult Protective Services.

If your brother is a danger to himself or others, then there is HMHR - Harris Co. Mental Health and Mental Retardation. You can try to get him committed and assessed.

I hope this helps.

If your dad is very frail, then perhaps you need a guardianship over your dad. That requires court intervention.

You probably need to meet with an attorney that specializes in the elderly.

Good luck!

Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific problem.

Child custody topics