How do we find an attorney to help w/permanent involuntary commitment for our mentally ill adult son w/a criminal assault charge

Asked over 1 year ago - Gig Harbor, WA

He has been on & off meds & has become more delusional & now violent. Refuses to believe he has an illness or take meds. Bi-polar w/schizoeffective disorder. Now in King County jail & Western State Hospital forensic unit currently. Not yet sentenced. Being evaluated. Fearful for ours and public's safety.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Cody Grant Henson

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I do not practice in Washington and am not familiar with Washington law, but the nature of your post and the fact that you have had no responses has led me to provide you the information I was able to find. You can contact your local county bar association to request assistance locating an attorney in your area who practices in this area. In Texas, an involuntary commitment following a criminal offense would be best handled by an experienced criminal law attorney. However, I am not sure if Washington considers an involuntary commitment to be a civil or criminal matter so I cannot tell you what type of attorney to contact. I do not know your financial situation, but if you are considered "low income", you can contact the Northwest Justice Project at You can also call them at 1-888-201-1014 . I truly hope you are able to locate a knowledgable attorney in your area. You may consider starting with a criminal defense attorney in your area. If he or she cannot help, I bet they can make an informed referral to an attorney who can help. Best of luck to you and your son.

    The answers provided on this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,406 answers this week

2,908 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,406 answers this week

2,908 attorneys answering