How do we create a condo board if there is only a maintenance company run by the builder?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Condominiums

We would like to create an entity that can hold the maintenance responsible for timely repairs and cleaning.

Dear NY Condo Owner:

A New York Condominium cannot exist without a Board of Managers. The Board is required by the law that enables the creation of the condominium and is mandated by the section of law in the Condominium Act in relation to the required By Laws:

You could reach out to the New York State Attorney General, Real Estate Finance Bureau:

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

There must be a Board. I suggest you hire a coop and condo lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Recommended articles about Real estate