How do step-parents play a role in custody cases?

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

My ex wants to modify our parenting plan because he does not want his new wife to have to do so much driving for his and my child. Is that a legitimate reason to change a plan? We currently share custody, though I have majority time.

1. Tresa Ann Bennallack Sadler

3

1

Answered . The standard to modify a parenting plan is a substantial change in circumstances. The standard can be met if there is a change of work schedule or move/relocation by the non-primary residential parent which makes the parenting plan impractical to follow. Without knowing more details, it would be difficult to determine whether he would win, but it would center on why the change of transportation is necessary.
    If the case proceeds any further by your ex filing a petition or wanting to go to mediation over the issue, give my office a call for a free half-hour consultation by just mentioning Avvo.

2. Dave Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . The basis for modifying a PP is whether there has been a substantial change in circumstances. That is a subjective standard as opposed to an objective standard, meaning it will be up to the discretion of the Court to make that call based on the evidence provided.

3. Bruce Clement

Pro

1

Answered . An existing parenting plan cannot be changed except by court order. The court won't change the parenting plan unless there has been a substantial change of circumstances and the child won't be harmed in any way. Informal agreements by the parents are not binding. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on modifications of parenting plans for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 31 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement