How do renegotiate my divorce settlement

Asked about 2 years ago - Van Nuys, CA

Can I do this and how
Should I hire a lawyer and. Will ex husband pay for lawyer
Need more alimony and a car

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

7

Answered . I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. You should look to your agreement regarding modification and get the consult of an attorney in your area. I wish you the best.

2. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

3

Answered . Once your divorce is finalized, there is very little wiggle room to have the Judgment set-aside. Factors to consider are, how much time has passed, what grounds you are trying to have it set aside on (fraud, duress, undue influence, unsound mind etc.) and as far as for needing a lawyer, it would be difficult to see a scenario where it could be done without someone who has done it before. As for him paying for the lawyer, that depends on his ability to pay, and your necessity for a lawyer.

3. Donald Frederick Conviser

3

Answered . Accord with Mr. Williams' excellent response. When you use the word "renegotiate", that implies that a divorce settlement was already negotiated. If a MSA or Judgment was signed by both parties and submitted to the Court, your only viable options and their Statutes of Limitations are set forth in Family Code Section 2122. If an MSA was negotiated but not signed, you have "wiggle room" to renegotiate it. If the area you want to "renegotiate" is Spousal or Child Support, you would need a material change of circumstances to modify those terms in a Judgment. You should retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you without delay. If your ex-husband earns significantly more than you earn, you would likely qualify for an attorney's fee award if properly sought. Regarding your need for a car, you will need to discuss that with your lawyer - the Court doesn't make "car" awards, other than in its division of community property.