How do med malpractice lawyers ensure that the medical experts they employ are accurate- i.e. not making a mistake?

Pembroke Pines, FL |

Because no one can know everything. And there is alot of false information out there- it is perpetuated by the hierarchy established in internship, a resident may say something that gets passed down for years to many doctors even though factually it is inaccurate.

1. A good lawyer will know who the best experts are. For example, I paid 40k for a two paragraph expert pediatric neurologist for a cerebral palsy case. Luckily, I recovered 4.2 mil for the client.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

2. That's a tough question to answer. All lawyers have stories to tell about experts, good and bad.
    Whole libraries have been written addressing the subject of expert opinion. Different experts may have honestly different opinions. Some are very...flexible. Some experts run up huge bills because they can get away with it. Others charge relatively little and are more credible. Depending on the question at hand, a lawyer must try to make sure his own experts learn the facts of the case throughly. A lawyer should always have a total command of all the issues in a case to aid in cross-examining opposing experts and to make sure he doesn't get ambushed by his own expert's ignorance. Experts are often more vulnerable when they lack command of the facts in the case than when they state opinions that are scientifically unsound. But, opinions can be challenged in court for being scientifically unsound. And, I can't resist saying that I would not boast about how much I had to pay an expert. I am willing to pay an expert for his or her time, and some charge a lot. Others go over the line into sheer greed.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

3. Agree with counsel that the attorney needs to know the medicine and issues involved. Further, the lawyer must make sure that the expert is aware of all the facts, particularly those which may present problems in the case.

DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.

4. My response is slightly different. Experienced med negligence attorneys have likely had cases similar to the one walking in the door in the past. So many attorneys know what the issues are before shipping them out to experts. We learn new twists on issues and new medicine with each case, but almost 'nothing' is brand new MOST of the time. On the occasions that it is, attorneys need to be careful that they are not 'sold' on a case by an overzealous expert. We use common sense and sometimes more than one expert to look over a case which when we are totally unfamilar with the issue. It costs us a bit more, but in the long run, our education on the medicine is what guides us to win, settle, or walk away from claims. We need to know if there was negligence, not just whether or not we can hire someone to say that there was. At least I do.

This is not intended as specific legal advice to you or about your case. The only way to provide that is for you to have a conference with an attorney so they can ask you questions about your claim, read records and learn far more than is contained in your note. No attorney-client privilege is established by this response.

5. It is not the job of a lawyer to "ensure that the medical experts they employ are accurate." The issue is a matter of advocacy, not "truth." (But, presenting false testimony is of course always prohibited). "Truth" is whatever the jury says it is.

So, a lawyer will screen the case with an appropriate expert who will give an opinion based on the observed facts, expertise, review of literature and the like. The lawyer sould not select an expert who is an advocate, because the expert will not be credible, and the case will be lost. A lawyer should select an expert who has credentials, will fully analyze the matter and who will be believable.

If the expert supports a case of liability, the lawyer should consider pusuing the case. (There are other considerations, such as level of damages and whether a judgment can be recovered). If the expert in screening, says there is no case, this is not binding on the lawyer (or even admissible in court). If the expert says there is no case, the lawyer has to decide whether to get another expert or concede.

Keep in mind, that if the matter is truly arguable, a lawyer will be able to find experts on all sides of the argument.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

6. Hmm...that sounds logical; yes and I can see how that would fit into the whole framework; and then the flow would naturally progress downward simply aided by gravity; yeah, that all sound right.....

Oh, sorry, I was watching something on the DIY channel about plumbing. I think I'm going to put a new bathroom in the my beachhouse myself, but I think a lot of bad information exists out there. How do I know that the experts on DIY know what they are talking about? A lot of bad information exists in home depot and gets handed down from one guy wearing an orange apron to another three or four younger guys also wearing orange aprons and then some dolt like me walks in who doesn't known a 2X4 from a burrito, which would explain a lot about my recent out of constipation, but in any event, yeah...makes sense.

Next...

(PSSST....did this guy get a lousy MCAT score or did a resident tell him when he was an intern that an endoscopy was performed via visual examination of the lower bowel...WITH YOUR OWN EYES, WHEN TWO RESIDENTS SHOVED REALLY, REALLY HARD AND THEN....

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation (simply dial {305} 972-5720), or, if you prefer, a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.