How do I write a receipt for a cash gift given?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Downey, CA

I will be giving some money to a friend and I want a receipt to memorialize the transaction. How should this receipt be worded?

1. Michael Leo Potter

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Simple. The person receiving the Gift signs a receipt that basically says: "Received from X such-and-such amount on such and such date. Signed, Y". Simple.

2. Stuart Gregory Steingraber

3

Answered . It might be useful to know what is your purpose for wanting to record the transaction. If it is for some kind of tax issue, the receipt should be signed by the recipient which will verify receipt of the money. The recipient of money is always the one signing any receipt. Include the date, the amount and any other information you want, but get the recipient to sign it.

3. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . It should probably include the name of the parties, the date, the amount, the fact that the transaction is a gift transaction and not a loan, and the signature of both parties. You can have "duplicate originals" so each party can have a signed copy.