How do I write a 10 Day letter for my DUI licence not to be suspended?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Atlanta, GA

So, I got my 1st DUI. My driver licence was taken by the police officer and he issued me DS 1205 form with the instructions on Hearing Procedures in order for the licence not to be suspended. I am trying to write this letter on my own but I could not find any type of examples to help me with it and my time is running out. The second part of directions confuse me the most:
1. the name and address of all interested parties who may help;
2. a clear and concise statement of the facts upon which the contested case arises;
3. a statement setting forth the relief sought;
4. if represented by counsel...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Inessa L.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do NOT comply with those instructions! If you are determined to try to do this on your own, you will be making the next in a series of apparently previous mistakes. I simple letter clear asking for a ALS hearing prior to suspension sent along with the $150 fee to the address shown on the DDS 1205 will suffice. You will need to tell them the DL #, the date of the incident and your current emailing address. There are so many top-notch DUI lawyers in Atlanta, seems a shame to watch you implode upon yourself!

    I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta,... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire a lawyer to do it for you, and do it fast. You will need a lawyer to help you fight the DUI charge itself, so let them fight this very important part of your case as well. Feel free to contact me for some help with these matters.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I know that you can find a letter such as you need on he internet, so I suggest you go look there.

    Sadly, you are asking for specific help. Anything more specific from any of the attorneys on here may come too close for comfort with regard to actually doing legal work for you.

    The best advice is to hire a lawyer. If you do send the letter on your own, be sure to include the $150 payment, and reference the payment in your letter as well.

    Good luck.

    You can contact me at my office at 770-744-4211 or by email through this website. The questioner and any reader do... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would strongly suggest you hire an attorney experienced in criminal defense for this matter, if you fail to do anything properly you will lose your license. There may be some boilerplate forms you might be able to find somewhere, but you need someone with a specific expertise in this area of law.

  5. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the other posters, you need a lawyer asap. As this is a request for a hearing, getting the letter out the door is only the first step. The response to the letter will be a hearing date in front of an administrative law Judge who works for the State to determine whether or not you get to keep your license. During the hearing, it will by your word vs. the word of the arresting officer, so the deck is stacked against you, especially if you go in there yourself. an experienced lawyer will not only know how to handle the hearing, but may even be able to negotiate a resolution with the officer to everyone's satisfaction.

    The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base... more
  6. Answered . As you are aware, after receiving a citation for DUI in Georgia, a request for a hearing to appeal the suspension of your license must be submitted within (10) days of the citation/arrest along with a check for ($150).

    Do not lose track of the fact that time is of the essence. At this point, you should consult an attorney to review the circumstances surrounding your DUI citation/arrest - however, do not post any specific details on this (or any other) public website.

    Please feel free to call my office today for a free consultation and information.

    Good luck.

    S. Quinn Johnson, Esq.
    Johnson PC

    Comments provided are not legal opinion and do not establish an Attorney-Client relationship. Johnson PC | 3348... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Civil penalties for DUI

Civil penalties for DUI are in addition to any criminal penalties. Typical examples include fines, driver's license penalties, and travel restrictions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,282 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,282 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering