How do I withdraw my case from tax court? (IRS)

I filed a case for review in tax court after a CDP officer's notice of determination claiming I owed the IRS money. In reality the IRS owed me a refund. After talking to multiple departments in the IRS and sending them multiple documents they agreed that they owed me a refund and sent me my payment. So I now need to close the case I filed in the Tax Court. How do I do this?

Marietta, GA -

Oscar Javier Ornelas

Oscar Javier Ornelas

Tax Lawyer - El Paso, TX

Contact the attorney for the IRS assigned to your tax court case and forward him/her copies of the documents in which the IRS agrees that you are owed a refund. The attorney for the IRS should prepare a motion to have the case dismissed and will ask you to sign the same. From a procedural viewpoint, consider waiting to contact the attorney for the IRS until after you receive your refund.

Any comments posted on this site are for your general information and are not a substitute for professional legal representation. Please consult an attorney to adequately address your legal issue(s).

Oscar Javier Ornelas
915-600-7286
oscar@ojotax.com

Evan A Nielsen

Evan A Nielsen

Tax Lawyer - Redlands, CA

Mr. Ornelas is on point - follow his advice.

Nathan Carr

Nathan Carr

Tax Lawyer - Tempe, AZ

I definitely recommend that you hire a qualfiied tax attorney to make sure the matter resolved correctly.
You would contact the IRS attorney on the case, they are from the IRS Office of Chief Counsel. If don't know who that is you can contact the U.S. Tax Court and get that information, I have attached a link the U.S Tax Court's website. You would advise the IRS representing attorney that you want the case dismissed as the issue, per your understanding, has been resolved and then a dismissal can be done. However, make sure that before dismiss the case, that the IRS attorney verifies that the amount owed is resolved per your statement and that he/she verifies with you. If can get something, if at all possible, in the language of dismissal stating this or at least some proof from the IRS in writing showing the issue was resolved that would be highly recommended.

Bruce Givner

Bruce Givner

Tax Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

Mr. Ornelas has given you excellent advice on how to terminate your Tax Court matter. Also, online you will find the book On Your Own In Tax Court by Lysander Venible which may be helpful.

Related Advice