How do I withdraw divorce petition in Illinois cook county

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

My attorney(free) has not listen to me from the beginning. I told her to drop the OP and she entered an agreed mutual no contact order that I did not agree to because she told me I didn't have to come to court since I was dropping the order. I could have went to jail because I wasn't given this order, I thought I was able to contact him. I am 8mo pregnant and would like my husband at the birth of his child. My attorney is creating even more friction between us because she has not asked for anything that I told her to ask for like temp spousal support,utilities, and immediate child support. I now just want to withdraw the divorce and relieve my free attorney of her duty. We have not gone to trial yet, the attorneys are working it out. How do I get these things done, and how long will it be

Additional information

how long is this process of firing and withdrawing petition

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Fire your attorney and tell the judge you want to withdraw your petition for dissolution. If there is no counter-petition for dissolution on file, then the case will be dismissed. I note, however, that your attorney did drop the OP just like you requested. She was looking out for your best interests by securing a mutual restraining order. It seems like nothing will make you happy.

  2. Michael A. Meschino

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Fire your attorney now. That will cause her to file a Motion to Withdraw. At the hearing on the Motion to Withdraw you advise the court you wish to non-suit your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. If there is no Counter Petition then the case is dismissed.

  3. J. Richard Kulerski

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The simplest way is for you to direct your lawyer to non-suit the case.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,266 answers this week

3,353 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,266 answers this week

3,353 attorneys answering