How do I withdraw divorce petition in Illinois cook county

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

My attorney(free) has not listen to me from the beginning. I told her to drop the OP and she entered an agreed mutual no contact order that I did not agree to because she told me I didn't have to come to court since I was dropping the order. I could have went to jail because I wasn't given this order, I thought I was able to contact him. I am 8mo pregnant and would like my husband at the birth of his child. My attorney is creating even more friction between us because she has not asked for anything that I told her to ask for like temp spousal support,utilities, and immediate child support. I now just want to withdraw the divorce and relieve my free attorney of her duty. We have not gone to trial yet, the attorneys are working it out. How do I get these things done, and how long will it be

how long is this process of firing and withdrawing petition

1. Judy A. Goldstein

5

Answered . Fire your attorney and tell the judge you want to withdraw your petition for dissolution. If there is no counter-petition for dissolution on file, then the case will be dismissed. I note, however, that your attorney did drop the OP just like you requested. She was looking out for your best interests by securing a mutual restraining order. It seems like nothing will make you happy.

2. Michael A. Meschino

1

Best Answer

Answered . Fire your attorney now. That will cause her to file a Motion to Withdraw. At the hearing on the Motion to Withdraw you advise the court you wish to non-suit your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. If there is no Counter Petition then the case is dismissed.

3. J. Richard Kulerski

Answered . The simplest way is for you to direct your lawyer to non-suit the case.