How do I view a listed inventory in a probate case? I'm from texas.

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Probate Probate assets

The state website lists that "Inventory (Dep.)" was posted in a case I am an heir to, and it is 4 pages, but how do I view it? Do I need to legally request it or will the court send me it?

1. I'm not a Texas lawyer but obviously the easiest way to find your answer is call the clerk and ask. There may be local rules that matter, too, again, that's the fastest way to your answer.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. Consult your attorney. Licensed to practice law in Indiana and Illinois. Circular 230 Disclosure: any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

2. Contact the county clerk and ask if it can ordered over the phone, but be prepared for a no. Most likely, you can send in a written request with the appropriate fee (usually $1 per page), or you can walk on up to the clerk's desk and order a copy in person.

The Court does not work for you, and you should not expect the Court to take any steps to make sure that you are aware of documents that have been filed. In fact, because the documents are public, the Court presumes that you have had an opportunity to review anything included in the clerk's file.

This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Texas only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Texas. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship.

3. As counsel suggested, call the clerk and see about ordering the copies.

Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Missouri only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Missouri. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship. less

4. If you are in Harris County, you will have to call and order it from the clerk. Some counties have the information available online. Again, just call and talk to the appropriate county clerk.

Wills and estates topics