How do I verify malpractice insurance for an attorney?

Mobile, AL |

My attorney was arrested & is in federal prison now on theft & drug charges. I believe had he been clear minded, the outcome of my case could have been different. I am seeking legal help to file a suit but I must first be certain he even had malpractice insurance. Where would I be able to locate this information?

1. An attorney representing you could simply mail a letter notifying the various carrier's of a claim against the attorney. Your attorney could also review the current status of any pending litigation against the attorney in prison to see if they could determine the insurance carrier. The number of insurance carriers is not that large. The time frame for filing a lawsuit against the attorney would be 2 years generally. The notice of claim to the appropriate insurance company would need to be filed sooner rather than later.

2. Hire a legal malpractice attorney and they can find insurance information on this lawyer.

3. I don't know about Alabama but here in Pennsylvania the disciplinary board of the Supreme Court has a web site where you can look up any attorney by name to find out the validity of license, whether there has ever been any disciplinary action against the lawyer and whether or not the lawyer has professional liability insurance. You should just hunt the web for Alabama lawyer licensing and see if there is a similar web site in your state.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice in a lawyer/client relationship. Misunderstanding of the answer or use of the answer for any illegal purpose is not the responsibility of the writer. The answer to any question in the Avvo website is constrained by the limited content of the question, an incomplete description of the facts underlying the question or a wrongful motivation for the question.