How do I value my website as an asset for Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Carson, CA |

The website is a blog with an AdSense account for ad revenue. I've owned it for close to a year and have only made a little over $5 from it so far, with no expectation of making much more as I've stopped working on it. The domain is $15/yr, which is set to expire soon.

Your right to the domain name is an asset that needs to be disclosed in your bankruptcy. However, based on your small amount of revenue, it would appear to be worth $0.00 or a small nominal amount (as the attorney above has suggested). It should be listed on Schedule B of your bankruptcy petition along with your other personal property. The domain renewal expense should be listed on Schedule J of your petition as an annual expense.

I am licensed to practice law only in the state of California. The answer provided above is for general information only. It is not intended and should not be taken as specific legal advice. The answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship with the party making the inquiry. The best way to contact me is by email at austin@stevenjacobsbk.com. I can also be reached at my office, the Law Offices of Steven Jacobs, at 510-357-1499.

i appreciate it

I would list it on the schedules and value it at $1.00, a nominal amount of money since it appears to have no value and it is very difficult to do a valuation without an income stream.

thank you

You would need to list the asset on Schedule B and indicate what you think it is worth given the circumstances. If you went to sell your rights to the domain lease, what do you thin anyone would pay for it? You also want to list the lease on Schedule G.

thank you for the schedule g information

I value websites at the cost to purchase them - I think it is around $35. Hope this perspective helps!