How do I value my website as an asset for Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Asked 5 months ago - Carson, CA

The website is a blog with an AdSense account for ad revenue. I've owned it for close to a year and have only made a little over $5 from it so far, with no expectation of making much more as I've stopped working on it. The domain is $15/yr, which is set to expire soon.

1. Austin Lawrence Houvener

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your right to the domain name is an asset that needs to be disclosed in your bankruptcy. However, based on your small amount of revenue, it would appear to be worth $0.00 or a small nominal amount (as the attorney above has suggested). It should be listed on Schedule B of your bankruptcy petition along with your other personal property. The domain renewal expense should be listed on Schedule J of your petition as an annual expense.

2. Arthur Wemegah

7

1

Answered . I would list it on the schedules and value it at $1.00, a nominal amount of money since it appears to have no value and it is very difficult to do a valuation without an income stream.

3. Sandra A Kuhn Esq.

Pro

4

1

Answered . You would need to list the asset on Schedule B and indicate what you think it is worth given the circumstances. If you went to sell your rights to the domain lease, what do you thin anyone would pay for it? You also want to list the lease on Schedule G.

4. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

4

Answered . I value websites at the cost to purchase them - I think it is around $35. Hope this perspective helps!