How do I use the California small estate affidavit to get a Nevada vehicle title transferred from my deceased mother to me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Desert Hot Springs, CA

My deceased mother's estate qualifies for the small estate affidavit procedure in California. However the vehicle is titled in Nevada. The Nevada DMV will not accept the affidavit for a transfer of title to me without a California Probate Court order.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christine James


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Ask the Nevada DMV what their small estate procedure is (they likely have a form) and use their process instead of CA's process. You should not need to go to probate court if that is the only asset in the estate.

  2. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . After the court approves the affidavit petition, have the court sign an order approving the transfer of all assets under the affidavit petition.

  3. Justin Eric Elder


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You also might try re-posting this with a Nevada location.

    A small ancillary probate may be necessary, but try re-posting and calling the Nevada DMV.

    This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,912 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,912 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering