How do I transfer title of a home to a partner in the event of my death?

Asked over 1 year ago - Madison, WI

Is listing that person in a will enough or are other documents necessary to ensure a trouble free transfer of home title?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Designation in a will is only one option. Taking title as joint tenants is another. A trust is a third. You should use this occasion to do some simple estate planning. Consulting a CPA and/or attorney to determine the tax and other costs is a good idea.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. Daniel J. Krause

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Using a will does not give a "trouble-free" transfer. It guarantees a probate court procedure on your death. There are other ways, like deeding the property in joint names, executing a Transfer on Death (TOD) deed, executing a life estate deed, or creating a trust. Each solution has its specific advantages and disadvantages. The most flexible is creation of a trust. The least flexible (arguably) are joint tenancy or life estate, since they cannot be changed without the other party agreeing. But those ways have their advantages also, including protection from Medicaid liens.

    I am not your lawyer. Any advice given through the Avvo site is for hypothetical purposes only, and does not... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now