Skip to main content

How do I transfer my pending divorce case from Missouri to Wisconsin?

Superior, WI |

My husband filed the petition in Johnson County, MO. I responded on my own, as I have no money to afford an attorney. I have heard nothing since my response almost a month ago. My husband has informally told me that he is moving to Minnesota in October. I want to try to file a temporary order for custody of my daughter, but I'm not sure which state to go through. I have been living in Wisconsin since January of 2012. My daughter spends half her time here and half her time in Missouri. I don't agree with this arrangement but don't know how to handle the situation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I would suggest that you consult with an experienced divorce attorney. Most attorneys offer free consultations. Jurisdiction can be tricky. It sounds as if Wisconsin does have jurisdiction but since there is a case currently pending in Missouri, you might be stuck proceeding there.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer