How do i transfer home title to my daughter avoiding probate upon death?

Asked about 2 years ago - Corpus Christi, TX

How do i avoid probate if i die i want to leave everything to my daughter i am not married, do i put her on the house title, is it a joint tenancy or deed, or affidavit of heirship? I dont want my estate which basicly consist of my homestead my vehicle and a few belonging to go through probate, My home is paid for there is no mortgage and no purchase money liens on my home

1. Lawrence Frederick Dietlein Jr.

3

Answered . Great question. I suggest hiring an experienced residential real property attorney to assist you in completing a Survivorship Agreement that will transfer your real property upon your death, automatically, without the need for any probate proceeding. This agreement creates a joint tenancy with right of survivorship, and upon the death of one of the joint tenants, the property passes to the surviving joint tenant(s). NOTE: I strongly suggest having a Last Will & Testament even with this Survivorship Agreement, just in case. I wish you the best of luck and hope it will be a long time before the property passes to your daughter.

2. Nicholas Abaza

1

Answered . a ladybird deed or trust would work

3. Amber Lynn Nelson

Answered . Mr. Dietlein is absolutely right. You should prepare a Will as a backup plan. Talk to an attorney to prepare the proper documents. You can also make similar arrangements regarding a vehicle if the goal is to avoid probate. There should be a survivorship section on the back of the title.

Don't forget about power of attorney documents either - these documents protect you in the event of an injury or illness.

4. Stephen Neil Foster

Answered . Texas allows for "independent administration" of estates. Technically probate but not really such a big deal. There's lots of options. Talk to an attorney. Probably will cost much less than you think.