Skip to main content

How do I transfer courts from CA to TX?

Houston, TX |

Hello, I have just recently moved from CA to TX. I am currently on summary probation for a DUI back in 2011 in CA. At this point I am trying to get my probation dropped and my record expunged, how would i go about this from another state? I know it is required to appear in court and I don't know what my next step would be. Thanks

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You can't really do anything from Texas. It is a California matter. You can employ a Texas attorney to advise you and deal with a California attorney for you. So the next step is to decide on a Texas or California attorney to be the person that you work with directly.

  2. All proceedings concerning your probation and expunction must be done in the California court where the case originated. Your probation can be transferred to Texas but it must be done by the California court

  3. Both states have to agree to the transfer of probation, and that has to be done before you move.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

  4. Your actual case cannot be transferred out of California. Only the probation supervision can. There is nothing a Texas lawyer can do unless he or she also has a California law license. If you want to take any action on your case you will need to contact your former lawyer or another of your choice. Good Luck

DUI court topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics