How do I terminate rights to my unborn child in Maryland?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lexington Park, MD

I have many Psychiatric diagnoses, and have had many outpatient, inpatient, and 1 residential hospitialization. I ended up in foster care, group homes, and independent living. I was forced into non-consensual sex while in Independent Living and am pregnant as the result. I do not think that it would be a good idea for me to raise a child by myself yet, as I have not been out of Residential care for a year even. I don't want to crash and have my rights involuntarily revoked or end up in a coffin, because of my hard time of rationality.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Curt Perri Bogen


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I would suggest that you consider placing the child for adoption. While this can only be done after the birth of the child, your planning process starts quickly. Contact your local probate court for assistance in this matter, or in the alternative, a local adoption agencies such as your local Children Services Board, Catholic Community Charities, or other private adoption agency in your area.
    Sometimes, loving a child means you have to take steps to protect that child, even if they are personally unpleasant. When you fill out papers for your adoption. I suggest that you make sure to sign the relevant paperwork so that when your child turns 18, that they can find you. Then the child will know that they were adopted out of love rather than out of the lack thereof. This is a difficult situation for you to be in, and I would suggest that you also get some Counseling in order to deal with it on a personal level. Good luck.

    The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,786 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,786 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering