Skip to main content

How do I terminate parental rights of adopted adult children or void the adoption?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Adoption

Our adopted daughters have been violent, hired someone to kill us, and even attempted to kill us themselves after getting in touch with their violent drug-addicted birth mother. We want to terminate rights to preserve our assets so they can't kill us for drug money. How do we do this now that they are adults? Would it be better to nullify the adoptions? The adoption agency withheld important information knowing that we would not have adopted children who were so violent and whose mother would dictate that they kill us.

Attorney Answers 3


You do not need to terminate parental rights. Just do some estate planning and make sure your adopted daughters are unable to take from your estate. Go see a probate or estate planning attorney immediately.

The more important issues is your safety. Make sure the police are aware of your situation and that you are properly protected.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Oh my! I hope you have filed police reports and secured all your liquid assets.
See a Probate attorney immediately! Have a will drawn up that clearly and directly excludes the children you want excluded. Name your beneficiaries, and your executor, with a back-up, and be certain it will be found when you are gone. Discuss filing it in your county of residence with your attorney. Good luck!

This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person asking a question and the person answering, or a duty to respond to ongoing questions; nor is it intended to replace competent legal assistance in the jurisdiction where the matter/issue arises or is before a Court.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with these attorneys, and want to add that your attorney might even want to notify them in writing that the estate is such that your death will not benefit them.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state

Mark as helpful

Adoption topics

Recommended articles about Child adoption

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics