Skip to main content

How do I tell a debt collector that I don't have any representation in a letter?

North Charleston, SC |
Filed under: Credit score

Need a letter for CM inc . to tell them I no longer have any legal representation

Attorney Answers 2


Your post is confusing, but it appears that you had an attorney at some point but that, now, you eliminated their representation? Your former attorney would have probably taken care of that for you - they would have told the other party that they no longer represent you. Otherwise, if you want to send them a letter, simply say that you are no longer represented by attorney "X" and that all future communication should be through you directly.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


There probably isn't any real incentive for you to tell them that you are not represented, unless perhaps there is a pending lawsuit, in which case the prior attorney has probably already told them. If you have an attorney representing you regarding a debt, then the creditor may not contact you directly. Once they learn that you are no longer represented, then they may resume contacting you at home regarding the debt. You can prevent them from contacting you at work if you send them a letter requesting that they not contact you at work. If your employer doesn't allow you to receive personal calls at work, then mention that as well. On the other hand, you could retain an attorney to represent you regarding the debt for the sole purpose of preventing contact from the creditor. Although that won't prevent a lawsuit, it will give you peace of mind, and will also give you statutory damages and attorney fees if they don't leave you alone.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics