How do I tell a debt collector that I don't have any representation in a letter?

Asked over 1 year ago - North Charleston, SC

Need a letter for CM inc . to tell them I no longer have any legal representation

1. John R. Cantrell Jr.

1

Answered . There probably isn't any real incentive for you to tell them that you are not represented, unless perhaps there is a pending lawsuit, in which case the prior attorney has probably already told them. If you have an attorney representing you regarding a debt, then the creditor may not contact you directly. Once they learn that you are no longer represented, then they may resume contacting you at home regarding the debt. You can prevent them from contacting you at work if you send them a letter requesting that they not contact you at work. If your employer doesn't allow you to receive personal calls at work, then mention that as well. On the other hand, you could retain an attorney to represent you regarding the debt for the sole purpose of preventing contact from the creditor. Although that won't prevent a lawsuit, it will give you peace of mind, and will also give you statutory damages and attorney fees if they don't leave you alone.

2. Michael J Corbin

2

Answered . Your post is confusing, but it appears that you had an attorney at some point but that, now, you eliminated their representation? Your former attorney would have probably taken care of that for you - they would have told the other party that they no longer represent you. Otherwise, if you want to send them a letter, simply say that you are no longer represented by attorney "X" and that all future communication should be through you directly.