How do i talk to my court appointed lawyer

New York, NY |

I cannot afford a lawyer so the court appointed obe. I realize they are very busy but he needs to know what is going on. 5 minutes before we are called into court is not enough time. My husband has lied and twisted everything and has put in 4 petitions in whic he contradicts himself in each of them. I have written out all allegations and responded honestly to each of them. I want my lawyer to be prepared for the bucket of lies that are going to hit him in the head in court. Is this a good idea or should i leave him to his own devices? I have called him and text him but he does not respond.

I agree with brother counsel. Set an appointment!

However, please understand that that court-appointed attorneys are often overburdened with cases -- your financial situation is not unique -- and he or she probably have hundreds of clients with pending matters, so it may not be tomorrow, or even this week. I am not excusing a wholesale lack of communication, and I agree that a first meeting 5 minutes before court isn't enough time, but I would also say that it certainly isn't because the lawyer doesn't CARE or because they don't WANT to meet with you. They simply may not have the resources or time to help everyone who needs their help.

See, e.g., (1) http://www.wbur.org/npr/174753333/after-50-years-a-state-of-crisis-for-the-right-to-counsel and (2) http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/03/how-americans-lost-the-right-to-counsel-50-years-after-gideon/273433/.

Answers to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete. This uncompensated answer is provided for informational purposes only, as a free public service; any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk.

2. Try to schedule an appointment.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.