How do I take my child's father off child support?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

My child's father has never been present in my child's life and I only receive a pitiful amount of support. I prefer to take him off and have no ties to him. How can I go about this?

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

Answered . There is not procedure to do this so long as it is possible for the father to support the child. courts generally disfavor excusing a parent from the support obligation. Regarding your child's right to a relationship with the father, be careful in your attempts to interfere with that. Maybe the father is incompetent or a jerk in your eyes, but he is the only father your child has. The day may come when a healthy and positive relationship is possible and if your child perceives you as interfering with that, the child could retaliate and your future relationship could be damaged.

Best wishes for a favorable result, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.