How do I take care of a felony warrant with out going to jail??

Asked over 4 years ago - Richmond Hill, GA

I gave a co-worker a ride in 1999 later to find out that he had stolen antiques from his mom, now I have a felony warrant that I knew nothing about until a recent background check for a new job. I am not sure how to handle this considering all I did was give him a ride and new nothing of the stolen property. What can I do???

1. Johnny Ramirez Castaneda

Answered . It will be difficult for you to handle this on your own without being arrested. You need to retain an attorney to help you. It is possible for this issue to be resolved without you being arrested. From what you have stated there is a good chance to have these charges dismissed.

PLEASE NOTE: THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes on a general website comment page only. Actual legal advice from this office can only be provided after consultation directly in person with an attorney from our office. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

2. Peter J Tomao

Answered . This is not a do it yourself case. You should not surrender yourself and try to explain to the police why you are innocent. The prosecutor will use your words against you. An experienced criminal defense attorney could arrange your surrender and may be able to help you get bail or release on your own recognizance. The attorney could also point out to the prosecutor that this is an old case. Apparently, the police never bothered to execute the warrant. Perhaps the antiques were returned. In fact, the warrant may already have been vacated and the background check was based on out of date information. Get yourself an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.