How do i sue someone for slander?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Cherryville, NC

long story short, my dad ex girlfriend blames me for them not working out so she told my fiance that i cheated on him and so now we are broken up untill i can prove her wrong, that she is lying just to get back at me.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Slander is the oral communication of false statements which are harmful to someone’s reputation. Spoken opinions which don't contain statements of fact don't constitute slander. The basic elements of a claim of slander include; 1.defamatory statement 2. published to third parties 3.which the speaker/publisher knew or should have known was false.

    Contact a local defamation/slander lawyer to protect your rights and reputation.

    Click on the name of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Andrew Jonathon Kisala

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . The tort of slander is alive and well in North Carolina. To sue someone for slander, you (or your attorney) must initiate a lawsuit by filing a complaint alleging sufficient facts to satisfy every element of the tort.

    The preceding is offered as general legal advice based on the information provided. As such, any reader should contact a licensed attorney to discuss the specifics of their case and how it relates to the law.

  3. John Scott Swimmer

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Slander is difficult to prove. As a general rule, if you can prove that she intentionally acted and you suffered harm to your reputation, then you can sue. The challenge is establishing damages

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,833 answers this week

3,560 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,833 answers this week

3,560 attorneys answering