How do i sue a school district and police department for personal injury

Asked over 2 years ago - Davenport, IA

my son has a disability mental and physical due to multiple concussions. he has an iep plan that was not successful due to school refusing tests that would help find accurate education for him. they had me arrested for a misdemeanor truancy charge which goes against their attendance policy which is for kids with good mental and physical condition. he is not truant. they retaliated and sent me to jail with no notice or mediation. they harrassed and bullied and threatened and refused testing to help him-retaliation of me demanding help and reaching out for help to everyone who would son has suffered a set back of further anxiety due to this retaliation and has withdrawn further. the police also reinjured my shoulder injury which is painful every single day. i received medical help

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You would retain a personal injury lawyer in your city. There are short notice requirements when you sue a school, so act quickly. You can find plenty of good lawyers in your city on Avvo. Good luck.

    Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755
  2. 5

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to contact a local civil rights attorney ASAP. Remember that when suing a governmental entity like a school district and police dept. there are strict timelines and notice requirements so do not delay in contacting an attorney.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should try to find a lawyer who handles education law. There are state and federal laws that apply to education of people with disabilities.

    As the other attys mentioned, speak to a civil rights or PI lawyer about the situation as well. Maybe one of those lawyers can refer you to a local education law atty.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury lawsuits

Personal injury lawsuits allow an injured person to seek compensation for the injury, either by court decision or through a settlement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,668 answers this week

3,920 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,668 answers this week

3,920 attorneys answering