How do i sue a prison fot injuries and medical neglect?

Asked about 4 years ago - Seattle, WA

I was placed in jail at Mission creek were I was being paid to work, While doing my work I did a Split slip fall and now have perminante nerve damage as well as permanite siatic nerve probles. The jail did not get me medical attention for 2 days until my foot turned black. once this happened they transfered me to Purdy and in purdy I was givin no reasonable medical attention until my councilor informed the infermary that I needed to be taken to see someone about my injury. I was taken to see one doctor who made my condition worse until a guard told him to stop. I was also taken to 2 hospitals. I am currently out of custody and on Probation. I feel that the neglect I received in prison is the reason that I am disabled for life now. and I can't find an attorney that can help.

1. Michael T Mumford

Pro

Answered . You may have a potential claim, because regardless of the cause of the fall, the institution may have been negligent in making sure you received timely and adequate medical care for your injuries. You would also want to check out the potential liability of the doctor who (mis) treated you. Suing the state requires certain pre-suit notice procedures. There are attorneys who specialize in these kinds of cases, and most good PI attorneys can handle these issues or refer you to a practitioner who has handled prisoner injury cases. You also have to be aware that depending on when the accident occurred, the statute of limitations may have passed. You should write up a chronology of events and obtain your medical records to assist the attorney in evaluating your case. These are my first general impressions and this answer does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Matthew D Kaplan

Answered . You have a case against the County, or State depending on the type of facility you are housed in. These types of cases often require notice to the public entities w/i a 6 month of the injury. If you ignore this requirement you can be precluded from going forward.

This could be filed in State Court or in Federal Court. These types of cases can be very expensive so unless the injuries are catastrophic, an injury attorney may be hesitant to put both his time and money into it. If you can front some costs, you may find a lawyer that is more willing to help you out.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney in the jurisdiction where the injury occurred directly to find answers to your problems.riod of time. If you ignore this requirement you could be precluded from going forward.

3. Nima Taradji

Answered . Your claim is against the State where the jail is located. Generally this sort of claims are filed in State's Court of Claims and then adjudicated by an administrative judge. You should speak with an attorney who has done this sort of things before--there are special rules one must follow.

I hope this helps-

Nima Taradji
    http://personalinjuryattorneyz.com

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information and for entertainment purposes and is only for issues arising under Illinois Law. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is always advisable to contact an attorney directly to find answers based on the facts unique to your case