How do i sue a business in another state?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

I reside in NJ and purchased a sofa online, the company is in la.
I waited 3 months to receive it because it was custom, i wanted it reversed, when it arrived it was was not custom so it did not fit the layout in my living room and it was badly damaged.
I contacted them asking for a refund or exchange, they offered $1,000 for me to buy new media center so that the sofa could fit and to send a tech to fix the damages, i agreed.
They sent the money but it has been months and they haven't sent anybody, i have contacted them numerous times and they keep apologizing and saying they will fix it.
I am wondering how can i sue them here in nj? Although they are locate din la their website works in NJ.
And i was wondering if i can ask for anything else other then the repairs?
Thanks!

1. William Charles Sipio

Pro

3

1

Answered . You would likely be able to bring an action in NJ because the company does business in the state (i.e. sells furniture on the internet to NJ residents). Internet sales are a growing area of personal jurisdiction law (See the "Zippo" test that is often cited in federal court). Since the company was even willing to send somebody to your home (in NJ) to fix the damages, I think there is a good argument for purposeful availment to NJ jurisdiction.

I would contact a consumer rights lawyer in your area.

2. Peter Joseph Lamont

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.