Skip to main content

How do I subpoena my former husband's W-2's and 1099's?

Evanston, IL |

This is the first year my former husband and I are supposed to exchange these documents, as stipulated in our MSA. (He would not agree to showing me his tax returns.)

How do I subpoena this information, or get 3rd party confirmation that the two W2's he's volunteering are his entire earned income? Do I need to hire an attorney, or is there a form I can submit to the IRS or my local courts?

Attorney Answers 2


You will need to go back to court to force him to turnover the documents he agreed to in the MSA. The request is callled a Petition for Rule to Show Cause. You should have an attorney help you. The court can order him to pay some or all of your attorney fees for having to go back to court. Sometimes just the threat or a letter from an attorney can get him to comply.

For informational purposes only. Not legal advice.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You have to take him back to court to compel him to sign the necessary IRS forms that authorize them to give the info to you.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics