How do I submit an idea to facebook and get paid?

Hampton, GA |

I would like to submit an idea to facebook. How can I submit it and get paid for it?

If it's valuable, you get an IP lawyer to protect the idea and then help you market it. Generally Facebook does not accept unsolicited submissions.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Ideas are not protected by intellectual property laws. But if you convert your idea into an invention (which usually requires retention of legal counsel), you can apply for a patent and attempt to license your invention. You need to retain legal counsel for this.

As for Facebook, trust me about this---it is inundated with "ideas" submitted by people who think they will get rich quickly if Facebook accepts it. Often dozens of people submit the same "idea" thinking that they arrived at it independently. If you have a valuable invention, you need to work with intellectual property licensing counsel to develop a strategy for marketing your invention---but don't expect to get a meeting with executives at Facebook.

Internet law topics

Recommended articles about Internet law