How do I stop someone from harassing me if I don't know her name?

Seattle, WA |

A few days after I moved into this apartment building, a woman in the building next door started shouting obscenities at me each time we passed on the sidewalk. I've never met her before and I mostly just tried to ignore it since she just shouts as she goes by and never actually threatens violence. But this has been going on for almost a year now and it is getting very tiresome. I still don't even know her name. All I know is what she looks like and that she lives in the apartment next door. Is this legally harassment? Is there anything I can legally do to get her to stop shouting obscenities at me every time she sees me?

You can file an anti-harassment case against this woman, naming her as a "Jane Doe". You can then have her servered (this has to be done by a third party) the next time she harasses you. It may be helpful for you to retain an attorney to handle this case.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes