How do I stop sexual harassment from a non-employee?

Seattle, WA |

I work as a barista and have a customer who comes in frequently and makes lewd comments about me (comments on how I dress, repeatedly asks me on dates, sexual innuendoes). I've informed my manager but since this man comes into the cafe before my manager does in the morning she claims she can't do anything. Is there any way for me to protect myself from this man?

1. "but since this man comes into the cafe before my manager does in the morning she claims she can't do anything." That reason would not hold up in court or in an Human Rights Commission investigation.

The manager can get up early and come to the business and deal with the situation.

The law is clear that an employer must take appropriate steps to prevent sexual harassment of its employees by persons who come to the business. (No, firing the employee would not be a lawful step.) If the customer does not stop the harassment, the business has the power to ban the customer from the premises. If the customer returns after being served with a trespass notice, the police will haul him to jail.

If your employer will not follow the law, you can file a complaint with the WA Human Rights Commission at www.hum.wa.gov .

In WA, the antidiscrimination law generally applies to businesses with 8 or more employees. However, in cases of sexual harassment, the WA Supreme Court has held that the law applies to even employers with only one employee.

While filing a complaint directly with the HRC is free, the HRC does not represent individuals. You may want to hire your own attorney.

2. This really is something that one would expect an employer to assist with since it deals with a problem customer. Make it clear to your manager what is happening and ask how your manager expects you to deal with this. Be firm but polite to the customer that you have no interest in him. Document your reports to your manager, maybe use email. I would also suggest that you call an employment law attorney in your locale for an hour consult, even if you have to pay for an hour's time. Good luck.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/