How do I stop personal harassment? Phone calls and threats mainly.

Asked 3 months ago - Orlando, FL

My mother has a drinking problem and after my stepfather died she is seeking to recover any money she can due to being left financially unprotected. She has decided to harass my husband and I for every past gift and financial transaction claiming we "stole" her money. She calls with threats of getting lawyers for situations but nothing ever materializes (we did nothing wrong) but now she is threatening to write letters to our jobs saying we are thieves and hoping we get fired (her words) is there anything we can do to stop this? We just want to be left alone. We haven't had any contact with her since she moved out of our house May 2011. I believe she only makes these calls intoxicated, but it's still unnerving knowing she wishes us such harm.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Robert Dillingham II

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Call the police and make a harassing communications complaint or hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter.

    I only practice in the areas of personal injury, federal civil rights, and criminal law. I will not answer... more
  2. Shaye Larkin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can send her a cease and desist letter by certified mail and if that doesn't work you can go to court and request a restraining order against her.

    The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,745 answers this week

2,879 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,745 answers this week

2,879 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary