HOW DO I STOP MY CHILD SUPPORT. MY SON IS NOW 26 & MY DAUGHTER IS 21YEARS OLD. THEY BOTH WORK FULL TIME AND STOP SCHOOLING.

MY SON LIVES WITH ME ALL THE TIME, AND MY DAUGHTER LIVES OUT OF STATE. I AM STILL PAYING SUPPORT ON BOTH.

Elmwood Park, NJ -

Stacey Leigh Miller

Stacey Leigh Miller

Family Law Attorney - Freehold, NJ

File a motion to emancipate your children and cease child support. You should contact an attorney regarding your 26 year old and when that child finished schooling.

Sponsored Listing
Kenneth A White

Kenneth A White

Family Law Attorney - Edison, NJ

You need an Order confirming that your children are demed emanciipated and that the child support obligation has been terminated. The termination date can be retroactive set back to the date that your daughter should have been deemed emancipated. Such an Order can be a Consent Order if the other party will cooperate. Otherwise, you should immediately file a Motion with the court seeking such relief.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
New Jersey Family Law Attoney
732-819-9100

Carrie Susan Schultz

Carrie Susan Schultz

Child Support Lawyer - Hackensack, NJ

I also agree with the responses above. You need to file an application to the court to get an order of emancipation of the children and, in turn, terminate your child support. You should consult with an attorney because the procedure of motion practice can be confusing and you need to know the law should your ex spouse object to your application.

Sponsored Listing
Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

Criminal Defense Attorney - Eatontown, NJ

I agree with my colleagues. Have a motion prepared arguing that your adult children are emancipated. It can be a bit complex so I would advise speaking to an attorney about helping you prepare the necessary documents. If the other party who is receiving child support is contesting this matter then you would really need an attorney at that point to help you prepare your argument in favor of emancipation of your adult children. Good luck with your case.

Steven Todd Keppler

Steven Todd Keppler

Litigation Lawyer - Somerville, NJ

You need to file a Motion with the Superior Court in the county that has jurisdiction over your divorce and subsequent child support/custody matters. If you do not know which court has that jurisdiction, it should be the county you lived in when the children and your ex-spouse lived in your home.

You should retain counsel to assist you in preparing this Motion and to argue it on your behalf. If you wish to contact my office regarding this matter, I would be happy to discuss the matter in detail with you.

(In the event you were never married, please excuse the assumption.)

Related Advice