How do I stop harassment from someone that's in a different country?

Nashville, TN |

I have a former friend in Australia that claims I owe her way more money than I actually do.
Even though I've told her several times that I'll pay her back when I can, she continues to email, text, and facebook me about me paying her back. I know that after I pay her what I do owe her, she won't be satisfied and will continue to harass me for the rest. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I've blocked her from contacting me but somehow she manages to find ways.
Any suggestions?

1. First, US laws don't apply to someone in another country. Second, she isn't a "Debt Collection Agency" since she is the one to whom you owe the money, so the debt collection laws don't apply. Third, what do you mean that she will "continue to harass [you] for the rest" even after you, "pay her what [you] owe her"? If you paid her off, how is it that she is owed even more?

Frankly, there probably isn't much you can do - you could try to get a restraining order, but it cannot be enforced on the other side of the planet - the cops Down Under aren't going to enforce it.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.