How do I stop collection agencies from harassing me regarding debts that aren't mine?

Asked over 4 years ago - Saint Louis, MO

Personal info was stolen twice-once in 2004 and again in Mar, 2009. Continually being bothered for debts incurred by these thefts. Originally tried to deal with them and offered my signature for proof. Nothing has worked, so I've stopped acknowledging the calls and mail. Mostly, I pay with cash, i.e. cars, etc. What recourse do I have as these are not my debts?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. James P Castranova

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Consult a consumer rights attorney in your area, one that has experience dealing with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). There is a good chance that the debt collector(s) are violating your rights under the FDCPA and an attorney can not only help you stop the harassment, but seek damages for any violations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,379 answers this week

2,819 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,379 answers this week

2,819 attorneys answering