How do I start a non profit program? What are the first few steps in creating one?

Byron Center, MI |

I want to start a non profit program. I am just starting out and not sure where to go. I want to know what documents I need to fill out to get started. Please list them in order and where I can find them and send them to.

1. There are a number of different types of non profit programs, i.e. foundations, corporations, trusts, etc. The steps you take will depend on what you want to do, who you want to assist, how you want to assist them.

You're going to want to clearly define your goals and how you want to structure your organization, and then I would suggest contacting an attorney to assist you in setting it up.

The information provided is based solely on the general information given and should not be construed as legal advice for your specific situation.

2. I appreciate your question, but this is not a DIY type of matter and no one here can or will outline the process for you step-by-step. As my colleague noted, there are many different ways of accomplishing this and your have options.

Setting up a proper IRS tax exempt entity is a lengthy process. I suggest you discuss everything over with a lawyer that handles these type of matters in private and explore your options.

I will link you to some general info below and most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. 866-871-8655 Support@LanternLegal.com DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

3. When you apply for your tax exempt status make sure "Tea Party" is not in the name of it.

4. Easy, start a non-profit corporation but it would be much better if you understand what you are doing so a not to really make a mess out of a relatively complex area.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

Small business topics