How do I start a non profit program? What are the first few steps in creating one?

Asked about 1 year ago - Byron Center, MI

I want to start a non profit program. I am just starting out and not sure where to go. I want to know what documents I need to fill out to get started. Please list them in order and where I can find them and send them to.

1. Benjamin I. Hirsch

9

Answered . There are a number of different types of non profit programs, i.e. foundations, corporations, trusts, etc. The steps you take will depend on what you want to do, who you want to assist, how you want to assist them.

You're going to want to clearly define your goals and how you want to structure your organization, and then I would suggest contacting an attorney to assist you in setting it up.

2. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

7

Answered . I appreciate your question, but this is not a DIY type of matter and no one here can or will outline the process for you step-by-step. As my colleague noted, there are many different ways of accomplishing this and your have options.

Setting up a proper IRS tax exempt entity is a lengthy process. I suggest you discuss everything over with a lawyer that handles these type of matters in private and explore your options.

I will link you to some general info below and most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

3. John F. Brennan

4

Answered . Easy, start a non-profit corporation but it would be much better if you understand what you are doing so a not to really make a mess out of a relatively complex area.

4. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . When you apply for your tax exempt status make sure "Tea Party" is not in the name of it.