How do I start a custody complaint in allegheny county?

Asked about 1 year ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I am interested in seeking partial physical custody of my 1 year old daughter. I need to know where to start. I have located the forms online. But i am not sure what to do with them. Do I have to serve the mother a motion to present? I cant find the steps online anywhere... does anyone know where to start and what I need to do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scott L Levine

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may be best served by consulting an attorney on this issue, but a specific answer to your question is: The detailed Procedures (and forms) for custody in Allegheny County are available on-line in the Court Manual here:

  2. Randi Joy Silverman

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is a mistake to try to navigate this process on your own. Custody litigation can be very difficult and it is crucial to ensure that you have representation to prepare and file your documentation properly and to present your case in the most effective manner at trial. The custody statute outlines factors that the court must consider in determining the type of custody schedule that is in the child's best interest.

    My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute... more
  3. Julie Rebecca Colton


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The forms and information about filing a custody complaint are available in the Allegheny County Adult Family Court Manual (link below). You might also want to seek the assistance of the Pro Se Assistance program. If you go through the program, they will see if you qualify to have your court costs waiver (info on the program is linked below).

    This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. This Q&A forum does... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,234 answers this week

3,197 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,234 answers this week

3,197 attorneys answering