Skip to main content

How do I start a court order to collect back child support?

Seattle, WA |

My son is 7 months old and I just today received my first cs check. The bio dad has hardly paid a penny towards my son since he's been born, so my parents have been helping me out financially along with the state. (I feel awful because of it) I believe that my son's donor owes me back support because he put my family through debt due to not supporting his child. I was told by DCS that the only way to try and collect back support would to file a court order, but I don't know how I should do that. Are there any do-it-yourself sheets online? I'm not sure where to begin. PLEASE help! And if it matters any, the father has voluntarily removed himself from my son's life. He pays support now and that's it.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Call your child support worker at DCS and discuss this. Normally DCS will establish past due support back to the date of birth. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child support for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

  2. Hello: I agree with Mr. Clement. I just wanted to add that you can also go to the Self Help Clinic at your local court house for guidance and/or contact your local county Bar Association for referrals to local Family Law attorneys that may be able to help with a consultation. Hope that everything works out for you.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics