How do I squash a capias for unpaid child support?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lebanon, NH

There is a capias for my arrest for not paying $ 2K in arrears ordered a couple of months ago, but I paid the amount ordered last month in 2 parts: one in cash, and through my taxes. I had informed the court of this last month, but I was surprised today with the notice on the mail. How do I get the judge to see that I have paid and to remove the capias? I have a copy of the check and a copy of the notice from the IRS.

I not only paid that order, but I have been paying my support ever since (it's actually garnished directly from my salary).

All this trouble originated when I lost my job and had a hard time finding a new job. It cost me so much to find one and now this. I've heard that if I go to court in person, I might get arrested on the spot. I don't want to lose my job. HELP!

1. Marie Nancy Sapienza

1

1

Answered . Go to court first thing tomorrow morning and file in Ex Parte motion asking the Court to find your child support is current and to cancel the capias. Attach proof of payment to your motion. The clerk will be able to help you with the procedure of filing. In your motion you should explain the urgency of the matter and the irreparable harm that could result if the relief you requested is not granted. The judge may wish to speak with you but it's more likely that you will get a ruling on the motion without a hearing.

2. David Perry Davis

1

Answered . I'm not admitted in NH, but your question caught my eye as I've done a work on this issue here in NJ.

Actually, if I were you, my first call might be to a civil rights attorney. If they arrest you erroneously, you've probably got a lawsuit against the state - it depends on your state's law and various immunity provisions.

That said, the advice about going to the courthouse physically with a copy of the notice and proof of payment is probably the best way to quash it.