Skip to main content

How do I sign over shares of company to releive me of any ownership obligatio

Clearfield, UT |

I started a business with a partner, who needed my name (for good credit) to get the business going. As I am in disagreements with the way things are being done, I would like to sign over my ownership to get my name clear of any ownership obligations. The company is a C Corporation where I was a 25% owner.

Attorney Answers 2


Only the corporation is responsible for corporate debts; that is one reason that people set up corporations. What I suspect concerns you however, is that perhaps you have had to sign personal guarantees for what would otherwise be corporate debt, and you will continue to be responsible for those guarantees in the absence of agreement from the people who hold them. Good luck.

Mark as helpful


I agree with the prior response to this. Your real concern needs to be any personal guaranties outstanding. Also, if you are dissatisfied, is that something you want to address? You do have rights as a shareholder that it may be benficial for you to exert. Finally, if you withdraw and are successful at cancelling any personal guaranties, you should address income tax consequences of your withdrawal and discharge.

You should discuss these items with a Utah attorney and an accountant.

Best of luck.

Direct: 801.438.6030
Cel: 435.669.2150

Salt Lake City Office:
331 South Rio Grande Street, Suite 302
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Office: 801.438.6009
Ogden Office:
2610 Washington Boulevard
Ogden, UT 84401
Office: 801.389.1533

Mark as helpful

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics